Ellen and Danny Softness have been partners in business and in life for more than 30 years. They started by purchasing a successful multi-location Gymboree franchise in North America and have now ventured into a completely different business. In this episode, they share their journey of staying married, raising a family, and maintaining financial stability in the face of intense competition and economic disruptions. Their story serves as a reminder that entrepreneurs can emerge from tumultuous times with their businesses and relationships intact.
Listen in as Ellen and Danny offer insights into how they made critical decisions during times of great uncertainty and disruption while running a large franchise. You’ll hear how they navigated these challenges with their family using flexibility, humor, and candor, as well as the importance of being passionate about what you do as an entrepreneur. They also share their experiences and how they learned to approach challenges with a positive attitude and a focus on personal and professional growth.
What You’ll Learn:
- How Danny and Ellen met and their entrepreneurial journey.
- How they got into the Gymboree franchise.
- The details of Ellen’s transition from corporate to entrepreneurship.
- How they navigated the market downturn of the late 2000s.
- The value of learning new technology to increase revenue.
- Why you must be passionate about what you’re doing as an entrepreneur.
- The secret to working together as a married couple.
- What goes into having a strong work ethic.
- The importance of understanding your risk profiles.
Ideas Worth Sharing:
- “It’s hard to be an entrepreneur without any passion, so you have to love what you’re doing.” – Danny Softness
- “If you’re doing something you like to do and you keep your eyes open regarding the business itself rather than getting distracted by outside noise, you’ll be okay.” – Danny Softness
- “When you’re doing something, you do it well and you work hard. There is really no other choice.” – Danny Softness